Required Registration & Adequate Progress to Continue Support
Students who are receiving financial support from the department are expected to register for a minimum course load each fall and spring semester of their appointment.
- MS students should take 9 hours minimum during their first year, and 7 hours minimus during their second year, in courses suitable for their program of study.
- Pre-Comp PhD students (those who have passed the PhD Candidacy Review) but have not yet taken the PhD Comps should take 7 hours minimum in courses suitable for their program of study.
- Post-Comp PhD students should take at least 4 hours of seminars and/or Reading Research STAT:7990 (22S:299). Recall that Ph.D. students are required to take at least 18 s.h. of STAT:7990 (22S:299).
- All students will receive tuition support for all courses suitable for their program of study, puls at most one semester-credit hour on other courses
- Exceptions may be made with the approval of both the student's advisor and the Director of Graduate Studies.
Adequate Progress Milestones
Support for Year 2
- Pass SPEAK/ELPT test at grade B or higher before start of second year (international students only).
- Complete at least 18 s.h. the first two semesters with a GPA of at least 3.00, including at least 9 s.h. the first semester with a GPA of at least 3.00
Support for Year 3
- PhD Candidacy (official entry into the PhD program) is established upon successful completion of the Graduate Core Examination and the Creative Component.
Support for Year 4
- Pass: Foundations of Probillity I and II, STAT:7300-7301) 22S:203-204 or Advanced Inference I and II, STAT:7100-7101, (22S:253-254), and meet departmental GPA requirements by the end of the first semester of the third year.
Support for Year 5
- Pass PhD Final (Comprehensive) Exam by the end of fourth year.
- Within 18 months of passing the PhD Final (Comprehensive) Exam, the PhD candidate should present a written and oral Prospectus to his or her committee. Failure to meet this deadline may result in non-renewal of financial support.