College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Data Science Bootcamp! Basic Python for data science. Overview of Python NumPy package. Data manipulation with Python Pandas package
Monday, March 6, 2023 - 5:30pm to 8:00pm
Sign up here!
Python pandas bootcamp
Taught by Ruitao Liu, Ph.D.
Monday, March 6, 2023
Additional bootcamp dates: March 20, 2023 and March 27, 2023
In person and live streamed with zoom.
This bootcamp will teach you fundamental knowledge, principles, and essential skills for manipulating messy data through hundreds of mini-tasks. The outline of the course is as follows:
- Basic Python for data science.
- Overview of Python NumPy package.
- Data manipulation with Python Pandas package
- Data set quality check (error/outlier detection, missing value imputation)
- Exploratory analysis through summary statistics.
- Data fusion (combining different data files and transferring them into suitable formats)
- Feature engineering (generating new features/variables to enhance model accuracy)
We will be using a set of Jupyter notebooks to present course materials. During the lecture, the instructor will demonstrate the notebooks using Google Colaboratory (https://colab.research.google.com/).
The Jupyter notebooks will be available 1 or 2 days before each lecture. Students may download and bring them to the class to practice while listening to the lecture.
We suggest running the notebooks using Google Colaboratory, which only needs an internet browser and a Google account.
- Basic programming concepts include variables, data types, functions, and control flows (if/else, while/for loops).
- Previous experience using Python may be helpful but optional.
- Knowledge of writing and running Jupyter notebooks using Google Colaboratory is valuable but not required.
Questions? Email: email@example.com