College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Fall Registration Starts April 10; If you want to add one of our FALL 2023 courses, you can do so when your registration window opens on MYUI. If the class you want to add is full, add your name to the waiting list.
Many of our courses are restricted to our majors (Actuarial Science, Data Science and Statistics) through April 29.
If you want to add one of our FALL 2023 courses, you can do so when your registration window opens on MYUI. If the class you want to add is full, add your name to the waiting list.
When emailing PLEASE include:
Students full name
UI # or Hawk Id
What course number and SECTION number you want to ADD
Send to: email@example.com
The following courses are restricted to majors (Statistics, Actuarial Science and Data Science).
- ACTS:4130 QUANTITATIVE METHODS FOR ACTUARIES (3 s.h.)
- DATA:4880 DATA SCIENCE CREATIVE COMPONENT (2 s.h.)
- DATA:4890 DATA SCIENCE PRACTICUM (2 s.h.)
- STAT:4560 STATISTICS FOR RISK MODELING ( 3 s.h.)
- STAT:5090 ALPHA Seminar (1 s.h.)
Restricted to majors during Early Registration only (restriction will be removed on April 29)—
- STAT:3100:0001 INTRODUCTION TO MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS (3 s.h.)
- STAT:3200:0001 APPLIED LINEAR REGRESSION (3 s.h.)
- STAT:5100 STATISTICAL INFERENCE I (3 s.h.)
- STAT:5200 APPLIED STATISTICS I (4 s.h.)
Restricted to new first-year undergraduates who are Honors Program members--
- STAT:1000 FIRST-YEAR SEMINAR (1 s.h.)
If you are an undergraduate and need to take a course over the 5000 level, you will need special permission. Please double check to be sure you have met the pre-requisites.
Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your full name
- UI # or Hawk Id
- What course number and SECTION number you wish to add
Are you an Undergraduate ACTUARIAL SCIENCE INTEREST or STATISTICS or DATA SCIENCE Student needing to meet with your advisor?
- Contact the Advising Center to set up appointments with your advisor. Start here. https://advisingcenter.uiowa.edu/
- If your advisor is Emma Kirk (email@example.com) please email her soon!
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with your full name and UI number.
IF you are an Undergraduate ACTUARIAL SCIENCE student...and if your advisor is not Emma:
- If your advisor is Professor Elias Shiu, email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Corporate Finance Information:
For actuarial science majors, ACTS:3080 serves as pre-requisite for FIN:3300; there is no need to take FIN:3000.
FIN:3300 satisfies the SOA VEE corporate finance requirement. It is also a course required for Honors in Actuarial Science.In order to register into FIN:3300 Corporate Finance all Actuarial Science Students (MS and Undergraduates) will need to request permission by submitting a form located on the website (below). This is required for all non-business students wanting to enroll in Tippie College of Business courses.
When completing the form:
- For the question, "I have checked the course prerequisites on MYUI and I have met them" say Yes. The College will waive the prerequisites for Actuarial Science majors.
- Permission to enroll will be applied on the second Monday of early registration, which will be April 17, 2023 for this semester.
- Note: Replies or decisions will not be sent to non-University of Iowa email accounts!
- Actuarial Science Interest Students are not given special permission to register for Corporate Finance, so if you need this class be sure to apply to our program for official admission to the major..
Questions and/or follow-up should be directed to Mike Schluckebier in the Tippie College of Business at email@example.com
Enrollment policy for non-Tippie Students: https://tippie.uiowa.edu/current-students/undergraduates/academics/advising/non-tippie-students
Enrollment request form: https://tippie.uiowa.edu/current-students/undergraduates/academics/advising/non-tippie-students/enrollment-request.
Many of our courses are co-listed with the Department of Psychological and Quantitative Foundations.
We cannot help you gain permission to add:
- Introduction to Statistical Methods (PSQF:4143) (STAT:4143)
- Intermediate Statistical Methods (PSQF:6243) (STAT:6513)
Please contact Psych & Quant to receive permission: firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of our courses are co-listed with the Department of Biostatistics (College of Public Health).
Stat undergrads wanting to take BIOS:5310 (co-listed as IGPI:5310 and STAT:5810) need to email email@example.com with their student ID and she will give them permission to register.