Timeline for Creative Component, 2020-21
Important Dates for 2nd Year MS Statistics Students
- MS Students: Tuesday, August 18, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Applied Statistics Exam, location is to be determined.
- MS Students: Thursday, August 20, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Mathematical Statistics Exam , location is to be determined.
- MS Students: Thursday, August 20, 1 p.m. Meeting to review the creative component details and deadline schedule, location is to be determined.
- Monday, August 24- Classes begin. Be sure you are registered for Readings in Statistics STAT:6990. The sections number is your CC faculty ID number.
- Friday, August 28- Results of MS exams will be given to students (via letter in your mailbox in 241 SH). For each student, the faculty makes a recommendation (Pass, or Fail). If you fail, or choose to retake the one or more exams the make-up dates will be offered January 21 & 23, 2020.
- Monday, September 21- Students should have met at least twice with their Creative Component (CC) advisor by this day.
- Friday, October 16- Students must submit a one-page description to their CC advisor and the Chair of the CC Committee, which gives a tentative title of their CC, lists the objectives of their CC research, and describes the methods to be used to achieve those objectives. Students and advisors will agree on objectives to be completed by the end of fall semester.
- Monday, December 7- Students must submit a written progress report to their CC advisor and the Chair of the CC Committee including results obtained so far and what remains to be done. CC advisors will assign a grade of I ("Incomplete") to their advisees if the October 16 and December 7 deadlines are not met, or if the progress report does not indicate satisfactory completion of agreed-upon objectives.
- If Necessary: Tuesday, January 12- 8:30-11:30 a.m. 2nd Opportunity to Pass: Applied Statistics Exam. Room to be announced later.
- If Necessary: Thursday, January 14- 8:30-11:30 a.m. 2nd Opportunity to Pass: Mathematical Statistics Exam. Room to be announced later.
- Friday, January 29- Students must submit a first draft of their CC to their advisor and to the Chair of the CC Committee; an ICON drop box will be set up for submission to the latter.
- Friday, February 5- Students must submit a final draft to the ICON drop box by 11:59 p.m.
- Monday-Wednesday, February 22, 23, and 24- Students give oral presentations of their CCs.
- Friday, March 12- the CC Committee assigns a grade of satisfactory or unsatisfactory and informs students of their grades, by email. Those students who receive a grade of unsatisfactory will be informed as to what they need to do to improve their CC to a satisfactory level.