Professor of Statistics and Actuarial Science, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Primary Office: 241 Schaeffer Hall (SH)
Iowa City, IA 52242
Iowa City, IA 52242
- PhD in Statistics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1986
- MS in Statistics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 1982
- BS in Animal Ecology, Iowa State University, Iowa City, Iowa, United States, 1980
- BS in Biometry, Iowa State University, 1980
Areas of Research Interest
- antedependence models
- linear model theory
- spatial statistics
- sports statistics
Selected Professional Memberships
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS), 1986
- American Statistical Association (ASA), 1983
- Zimmerman, D., Lim, H. (2021). The middle-seed anomaly: Why does it occur in some sports tournaments but not others?. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. DOI: loi/1-.1515/jqas-2020-0065.
- Karl, A. T., Zimmerman, D. L. (2020). A diagnostic for bias in linear mixed model estimators induced by dependence between the random effects and the corresponding model matrix. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 211, 107-118. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jspi.2020.06.004.
- Malanson, G. P., Nelson, E. L., Zimmerman, D. L. & Fagre, D. B. (2020). Alpine plant community diversity in species-area relations at fine scale. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 52, 41-46.
- Zimmerman, D. L. (2020). Linear Model Theory, with Examples and Exercises. New York: Springer.
- Zimmerman, D. L. (2020). Linear Model Theory: Solutions to Exercises. Springer.
- Zimmerman, D. L., Zimmerman, N. D. & Zimmerman, J. T. (2020). March Madness "Anomalies": Are they real, and if so, can they be explained?. The American Statistician, 75, 207-216. DOI: https://doi.org.10.1080.00031305.2020.1720814.
- Wang, S., Zimmerman, D. L. & Breheny, P. (2020). Sparsity-regularized skewness estimation for the multivariate skew normal and multivariate skew t distributions. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 179. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmva.2020.104639.
- Zimmerman, D. L., Buckland, S. T. (2019). Environmental sampling design. In Handbook of Environmental and Ecological Statistics. pp. 181-210. CRC Press.
- Zimmerman, D. L. (2019). Geostatistics. In Wiley Stats Ref: Statistics Reference Online.
- Zidek, J., Zimmerman, D. L. (2019). Monitoring network design. In Handbook of Environmental and Ecological Statistics. pp. 499-522. CRC Press.
Last Modified Date: July 1, 2021