College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Joseph B. Lang
Fellow, American Statistical Association
PhD in Statistics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States, 1992
MS in Statistics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States, 1988
BA in Mathematics, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, Minnesota, United States, 1986
Statistical inference for Categorical Data, Exact and Approximate Interval Estimation, Foundations of Mathematical Statistics and Inference (Freq, Bayes, Fiducial, Fuzzy), Causal inference, Randomization Tests
Missing Data, Generalized Regression Modeling
Joseph B. Lang is Professor in the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, at the University of Iowa. He is a fellow of the American Statistical Association and an associate editor of Statistical Modelling: An International Journal. His current research includes work on categorical data methods, causal inference, randomization tests, missing data, and fiducial inference.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Lane Davis Award for Honors Team Teaching, The University of Iowa, 2012
- Elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association, 2007
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Florida, Department of Statistics, 2004
- Collegiate Teaching Award, The University of Iowa, 2003
- Lauritsen, J., Heimer, K. & Lang, J. B. (2018). The Enduring Significance of Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Male Violent Victimization: An Analysis of National Crime Survey Victimization Data, 1973-2010. DuBois Review, 69-87.
- Lang, J. B. (2018). CI.binom() Supporting software for "Mean-Minimum Exact Confidence Intervals," The American Statistician (Lang, 2017).
- Lang, J. B. (2017). Mean-Minimum Exact Confidence Intervals. The American Statistician, 71(4), 354-368.
- Iannario, M., Lang, J. (2016). Improved Tests of Conditional Independence in Stratified Tables. Statistics in Medicine, 35(25), 4573-4587.
- Lang, J. (2015). A Closer Look at Testing the 'No-Treatment-Effect' Hypothesis in Comparative Experiments. Statistical Science, 30(3), 352-371. DOI: 10.1214/15-sts513.
- Lang, J. B. (2008). Score and Profile Likelihood Confidence Intervals for Contingency Table Parameters. Statistics in Medicine, 5975-5990.
- Lang, J. B. (2005). Homogeneous Linear Predictor Models for Contingency Tables. Journal of the American Statistical Association-Theory and Methods, 121-134.
- Lang, J. B. (2004). Multinomial-Poisson Homogeneous Models for Contingency Tables. Annals of Statistics, 340-383.
- Lang, J. B. (1994). Simultaneously Modeling the Joint and Marginal Distributions of Multivariate Categorical Response Data. Journal of the American Statistical Association-Theory and Methods, 625-632.
- Lang, J., Iannario, M. (2013). Improved Tests of Independence in Singly-Ordered Two-Way Contingency Tables. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 68, 339-351. DOI: 10.1016/j.csda.2013.06.014.