College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
PhD in Statistics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States, 2008
MS in Statistics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States, 2006
BSc in Statistics, St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, India, 2003
By appointment only.
I am an Associate Professor (with tenure) in the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science at The University of Iowa since July 2016. I grew up in Kolkata, India, and did my undergraduate studies at St. Xavier's College, Kolkata from 2000 to 2003. After graduating with a B.Sc. in Statistics, in 2003, I completed the first year of a two-years Masters program in Calcutta University. I joined the Department of Statistical Science at Duke University as a graduate student in 2004. I obtained my M.S. and Ph.D. from Duke University in 2006 and 2008, and then did a two year postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Biostatistics at UNC Chapel Hill. I joined The University of Iowa as an Assistant Professor in August 2010.
Selected Professional Memberships
- International Indian Statistical Association (Life member)
Selected Awards and Honors
- Featured in AMSTAT NEWS: Celebrating Women in Statistics 2020, American Statistical Association, 2020
- Career Development Award, University of Iowa, 2018
- Special Invited Speaker for the session “Young Researchers – Special Invited Speakers" (featured session with 45 minutes talks), 2014 International Indian Statistical Association, Riverside, California, 2014
- UNC Chapel Hill 2009-2010 Postdoctoral Scholar Award for Research Excellence, University of North Carolina, 2009
- Winner, student paper competition organized by Section on Bayesian Statistical Science (SBSS) of American Statistical Association (ASA), 2008
- Li, X., Ghosh, J. & Villarini, G. (2021). NegbinBVS R Package.
- Ghosh, J. (2019). Cauchy and other shrinkage priors for logistic regression in the presence of separation. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Computational Statistics, 11(6)(e1478).
- Villarini, G., Luitel, B., Vecchi, G. D. & Ghosh, J. (2019). Multi-model ensemble forecasting of North Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. Climate Dynamics, 53(12), 7461-7477.
- Dawson, J., O'Shea, A. & Ghosh, J. (2019). Reducing high-frequency time series data in driving studies. International Association for Statistical Education (IASE) 2019 Satellite Conference Proceedings Paper.
- *** Ghosh, J., *** Li, Y. & Mitra, R. (2018). On the use of Cauchy prior distributions for Bayesian logistic regression. Bayesian Analysis, 13(2), 359-383.
- Ghosh, J., Ghattas, A. E. (2015). Bayesian variable selection under collinearity. The American Statistician, 69(3), 165-173. DOI: 10.1080/00031305.2015.1031827.
- Ghosh, J., Reiter, J. P. (2013). Secure Bayesian model averaging for horizontallypartitioned data. Statistics and Computing, 23(3), 311-322. DOI: 10.1007/s11222-011-9312-6.
- Clyde, M. A., Ghosh, J. & Littman, M. (2011). Bayesian adaptive sampling for variable selection and model averaging. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 20(1), 80-101. DOI: 10.1198/jcgs.2010.09049.
- Ghosh, J., Herring, A. H. & Siega-Riz, A. (2011). Bayesian variable selection for latent class models. Biometrics, 67, 917-925. DOI: 10.1111/j.1541-0420.2010.01502.x.
- Ghosh, J., Clyde, M. A. (2011). Rao-Blackwellization for Bayesian variable selection and model averaging in linear and binary regression: A novel data augmentation approach. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 106(495), 1041-1052. DOI: 10.1198/jasa.2011.tm10518.
Selected Grants and Contracts
- Ghosh, JoyeeGrant Efficient Bayesian Model Averaging for Linear and Generalized Linear Models. Sponsored by National Security Agency Young Investigator Grant. March 1, 2014 - March 31, 2016.
- Ghosh, JoyeeGrant Scaling up Bayesian Variable Selection for High Dimensions. Sponsored by National Science Foundation DMS Statistics. August 1, 2016 - July 31, 2019.