Professor of Statistics and Actuarial Science, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Ralph E. Wareham Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of Iowa, August 2002 - Present
Primary Office: 209 Schaeffer Hall (SH)
- PhD in Operations Research, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States, 1980
- MA in Operations Research, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States, 1979
- BA in Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 1977
- MA in Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 1977
Areas of Research Interest
- Bayesian Methods
- Computing Environments for Statistics
- Statistical Computing
- Statistical Graphics
Selected Professional Memberships
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- International Society for Bayesian Analysis (ISBA)
- International Statistical Institute
Selected Awards and Honors
- Elected Member of ISI, 1994
- Elected Member of Oper. Res. Soc. of Amer, 1992
- Awarded Guggenheim Fellowship, 1992
- Elected Fellow of ASA, 1991
- Elected Fellow of IMS, 1988
- (2017). Just In Time Compilation for R.
- Tierney, L. (2017). Dynamic and Interactive Graphics in Lisp-Stat. pp. 134-140. Alexandria, VA: JSM Proceedings, Statistical Graphics Section: American Statistical Association.
- Tierney, L. (2016). Improvements to Byte Code Compilation in R.
- Tierney, L., Jarjour, R. (2015). proftools 0.99-0 package -- major update.
- Tierney, L. (2014). Initial work on reference counting in R.
- Tierney, L. (2014). Parallel Vectorized Math Functions in R.
- Tierney, L. (2013). Large Vector Support for R.
- Feng, D., Tierney, L. & Magnotta, V. (2012). MRI Tissue Classification using High Resolution Bayesian Hidden Markov Normal Mixture Models. J. A. S. A., 107, 102–129.
- Tierney, L. (2011). Byte code compiler and virtual machine for R.
- Feng, D., Tierney, L. (2011). mritc: A Package for MRI Tissue Classification. Journal of Statistical Software, 44(7).
- Tierney, L. (2017, December) ALTREP: A framework to support alternate representations of basic R objects. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at Annual Meeting of the NZSA, New Zealand Statistical Association, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Tierney, L. (2017, July) Dynamic and Interactive Graphics in Lisp-Stat. Invited Lecture presented at Joint Statistical Meetings, Iiowa City.
Last Modified Date: January 14, 2019