Ralph E. Wareham Professor of Mathematical Sciences
Fellow, American Statistical Association
Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
PhD in Operations Research, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States, 1980
MA in Operations Research, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States, 1979
MA in Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 1977
BA in Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 1977
By appointment only.
Computing Environments for Statistics
Selected Professional Memberships
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- International Society for Bayesian Analysis (ISBA)
- International Statistical Institute
Selected Awards and Honors
- Statistical Computing and Graphics Award, Sections on Statistical Computing and Statistical Graphics of the American Statistical Association, United States, 2019
- Elected Member of ISI, 1994
- Elected Member of Oper. Res. Soc. of Amer, 1992
- Awarded Guggenheim Fellowship, 1992
- Elected Fellow of ASA, 1991
- Elected Fellow of IMS, 1988
- Tierney, L. (2021). Forward pipe operator and function shortcut syntax.
- Tierney, L. (2020). Reference counting in R.
- (2019). Improved discrete uniform sampling for R.
- (2018). Alternate Representations of Basic R Objects.
- Tierney, L. (2017). Just In Time Compilation for R. Iowa City .
- Tierney, L. (2017). Dynamic and Interactive Graphics in Lisp-Stat. pp. 134-140. Alexandria, VA: JSM Proceedings, Statistical Graphics Section: American Statistical Association.
- Tierney, L. (2016). Improvements to Byte Code Compilation in R.
- Tierney, L., Jarjour, R. (2015). proftools 0.99-0 package -- major update.
- Tierney, L. (2014). Initial work on reference counting in R.
- Tierney, L. (2014). Parallel Vectorized Math Functions in R.
- Tierney, L. (2019, July) `Some Thoughts on Languages for Statistical Computing and Graphic. Invited Lecture presented at Joint Statistical Meetings, American Statistical Association, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, Biometric Society, Denver, Colorado.
- Tierney, L. (2019, July) The R Bytecode Compiler and VM. Conference Presentation presented at Riot 2019, Toulouse, France.
- Tierney, L. (2018, July) ALTREP: Alternate Representations of Basic R Objects. Invited Lecture presented at Directions in Statistical Computing, R Foundation, Brisbane, Australia.
- Tierney, L. (2017, December) ALTREP: A framework to support alternate representations of basic R objects. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at Annual Meeting of the NZSA, New Zealand Statistical Association, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Tierney, L. (2017, July) Dynamic and Interactive Graphics in Lisp-Stat. Invited Lecture presented at Joint Statistical Meetings, Iowa City.