5-Year Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degree (Joint B.S./M.S. in Statistics)
Overview- Iowa U2G—undergrad to grad in five years
--Updated August 26, 2022--
The joint Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in statistics is for eligible students who seek to complete both the B.S. and the M.S. at the University of Iowa in five years. Students in the joint program must complete all requirements for each degree. A traditional M.S. in statistics requires completion of 32 s.h. of graduate-level course work. The B.S./M.S. program permits students to count 12 s.h. of credit (four courses) toward the requirements for both degrees. To complete the M.S., an additional 20 s.h. of course work is required. The four courses that count toward both degrees must be taken during the fourth year of undergraduate study, after admission to the joint program, and must satisfy degree requirements of both the B.S. and the M.S. in statistics.
When a student withdraws from the joint program before completing his or her bachelor's degree, credit earned in the four planned cross-credited courses is counted only toward the undergraduate degree.
Students are granted the BS when they complete all requirements for the undergraduate degree.
Students generally apply for admission to the joint program during the spring semester of their third year as undergraduates and enter the program at the beginning of their fourth year—becoming both an undergraduate and graduate student at that time.
Model BS/MS Student Schedule flowchart – mathematical statistics track
Model BS/MS Student Schedule flowchart – statistical computing and data science track
Who can apply?
In order to be eligible for admission, candidates
- must already be enrolled as a statistics major at The University of Iowa
- must have completed a minimum of 80 s.h. at the time of admission to the joint program, with at least 30 s.h. earned at The University of Iowa
- must have a cumulative University of Iowa GPA of at least 3.25.
- must have discussed the program with the undergraduate advisor for statistics majors and have the advisors support for being admitted to the program
Students interested in the program must submit the BS/MS dual degree program application to the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science. Application to the Department should be submitted during the second semester of the junior year by May 1st.
Each applicant must:
- Submit the BS/MS U2G program application to the Department
- After being recommended by the department (above application) complete the University of Iowa Graduate College application
- Submit a statement of purpose including professional goals
- Once you apply you will be asked to submit three names of recommendors that the University will contact on your behalf. You can ask people to expect this request.
- Submit GRE scores to the Graduate College. NOTE: This submittal can be deferred until after conferral of the BS degree. At that time, the GRE must be submitted in order to continue in the program.
Students enrolled in the joint degree program will pay undergraduate tuition and fees through their fourth year. Starting with their fifth year, students will be assessed tuition and fees at the graduate rate and thereafter. Please note: If award of the bachelor’s degree is delayed beyond the first two semesters of the program, students will continue to pay graduate tuition. However, students in the combined program will be eligible to hold graduate assistanships starting their fifth year. Any student holding an assistanship of 25% or grader will be eligible for a full tuition waiver and other benefits as mandated by the graduate student collective bargaining agreement.
For more information please email your questions and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org